Wednesday 8 February 2017

Montes Alpha Cabernet Sauvignon Colchagua Valley 2013




Montes Alpha Cabernet Sauvignon Colchagua Valley 2013 (SKU 322586, $27.59 tax included, WS90 pts)
This was a Christmas gift for me and I opened it to drink while having a pork tenderloin roast. The nose was light and the body was thin. It still had some tannins but the finish was short. The wine was overpowered by the meat. My tasting panel was not impressed on the first night. I drank the leftover the next night with some home-cooked Chinese food and take-out barbeque duck. It tasted more full and went well with the food. I guess this would be a nice everyday dinner wine. Compared to the Mondavi Cabernet Sauvignon that I tasted last month, this Chilean offering was definitely one step behind. Wine Spectator gave it 90 points and I thought that was a bit generous. I would place it between 86 to 88 points. Although Wine Spectator indicated that this wine could be cellared until 2020, I would mark it for immediate consumption. At this price, this would be a good daily dinner wine. There is ample stock in the LDB system.

No comments:

Post a Comment