Monday 13 February 2017

La Montesa Rioja Crianza 2013



La Montesa Rioja Crianza 2013 (US$12.10 tax included, WS91 pts)
I was shopping for wine at the Alderwood Costco and missed this economical offering. Luckily my daughter caught the fine print and pointed it out to me that is was Wine Spectator's No. 52 Wine of the Year in 2016. At US$10.99 plus tax, I could not resist. I brought it back home and immediately opened it while enjoying some sushi. It was amazingly approachable and went well with the food. The nose was fragrant and the palate had taste of vanilla and juicy berry. Being a Tempranillo, it was a bit dry but there was lots of fruit. Even though the wine had a 14.5% alcohol content, it was very easy drinking. Two of us finished three quarters of a bottle without feeling any of the effects of the alcohol. Crianza meant that it was aged for at least two years. Wine Spectator indicated it was good from 2017 to 2023. I would drink it now if you can get your hands on some. I apologize for introducing a wine that is not locally available but this was such an exciting wine that I have to tell you about it. At this price, it is a great deal. It is also available at the Kirkland Costco, so I assume that it is available throughout the Costco chain in the U.S.

No comments:

Post a Comment