Monday 20 May 2013

Domaine Faiveley Nuits-St.-Georges 1er Cru Les Porets-St.-Georges 2010

Domaine Faiveley Nuits-St.-Georges 1er Cru Les Porets-St.-Georges 2010 (WS 95 pt., $96.99, SKU 531624) This was mentioned by one of the newspaper wine columns and it caught my attention. This was a Burgundy wine with a high rating and under $100. Wine Spectator indeed rated it at 95 points and suggested drinking it between 2015 to 2028. I bought a few bottles for my cellar and decided to wait a few years. Then I did further reading and found that 2010 was not a typical year for the Burgundy wines. The climate was cool and wet in the early season and a smaller quantity grapes made it to harvest. The wine-makers had a more difficult time compare to great vintages like 2005 and 2009. That was what made the 2010 version of this wine interesting. First the price: same as the 2009 vintage while the U.S. release price was $155. Then the rating: it was considered "Collectibles" by Wine Spectator. I could not resist such an interesting offering and opened one bottle. I used my Burgundy glasses and did not decant the wine. The nose was wonderful to start and it kept growing on me. Even though this was before its maturity, there was still a good balance of fruit and tannin. The finish was long and my tasting panel all loved it.
 
This was not part of my usual economical, easy to drink wines that I wrote for this blog. But given the unique value, I felt I had to let everyone know about it. This would be a great gift for your sons to give to you for Father's Day. It should be cellared for at least another five years, preferably ten to fifteen years. LDB website indicated there are 24 bottles in the system and 17 in Vancouver. Do not go to Alberni and Bute as those 4 bottles are all 2009 vintage (WS92 pts., same SKU, same price). I saw one bottle at 39th and Cambie that is 2010 but I could not tell which vintage the rest of the 12 bottles are. So be careful when you go buy one.

No comments:

Post a Comment