Monday 20 November 2023

Baron Philippe de Rothschild Carmenère Colchagua Valley Escudo Rojo 2021

 

Baron Philippe de Rothschild Carmenère Colchagua Valley Escudo Rojo 2021 (SKU 746321, WS90 pts., $21.84 tax included)

 I was attracted to the name of the winery when I saw this wine. Rothschild meant it was a famous French winery but it looked like they were producing wine in Chile. Carmenère was a one of the Chilean red grapes and tasted more like Merlot. At this price, I could not resist the curiosity to explore this wine. I brought is to a Chinese dinner and the server decanted it. There was a hint of light berries on the nose and palate with a medium body and medium finish. It paired well with most of the meat dishes. The surprising thing was it was rated at 90 points by Wine Spectator (WS) with a drinking window after 2025. It was considered a "Smart Buy" by WS. I would treat it as an economical table wine for general food pairing and near term consumption. At this price, I would not put it in my cellar for too long.

No comments:

Post a Comment