Sunday 4 March 2018

Apothic Dark California Red 2015




Apothic Dark California Red 2015 (SKU 852566, $17.81 tax included)
I tasted the Apothic Red before and did not think it was a serious wine because it was too light and tangy. But when I wandered into the Cambie and 39th Signature Store, I saw this new offering from California and I was hoping this would be a more serious wine with fuller body. When opened, the colour was as the name suggested - dark red. The nose was fruity. As it was an economical wine, I did not even bother to decant it. The initial tasting was just so so with light to medium body and some dark fruit. It was paired with some Mediterranean food and went well with the beef and the lamb. It was a simple wine that was good for everyday drinking. As the evening passed, one of my tasting panel members noted that it got better, with fuller body and the fruit was more concentrated. I tasted some leftover wine twenty-four hours later and it was even better. The lesson was that even economical wines should be decanted to taste its full potential. There is ample stock throughout the LDB stores.

No comments:

Post a Comment