Friday 11 November 2011

Pichon Baron 2000

Pichon Baron 2000 (WS 93 pts., $150, SKU 730671)

This bottle was opened for curiosity’s sake. Don’t try looking for this SKU on the LDB website as it doesn’t exist anymore. This bottle was purchased on one cold  November 2003 night when my brother informed me that the second shipment of the Bordeaux 2000 arrived at the 39th LDB store and there was no limit. It has been sitting in my cellar and I finally decided to open one bottle. I e-mailed the chateau to ask them if the wine was ready and how to serve it. I got a reply that the wine can be opened now (WS indicated it won’t be ready until after 2010) but if I can wait another ten years, it will become more elegant. They suggested that it should be decanted for an hour in a wide based decanter and served with some red meat.

When opened, the aroma was very pleasant and strong. The body was better than the same bottle that my friend opened two years ago but didn’t feel spectacular like a Second Growth Bordeaux should be. We waited around and the wine turned much more sophisticated with a medium to full body. The finish was not that long (the taste didn’t stay in the mouth for too long). However I left a glass of it in the bottle and drank it the next evening. It was definitely better after 24 hours in the bottle.

It will be very difficult to find a bottle of this wine since most wine lovers would hold on to whatever Bordeaux 2000 that they have and wait. It was such a good vintage that the top wines are not ready yet (at least another five to ten years). The second tier wines, like the 93 point Pichon Baron, may be opened but still good in the cellar for another ten years.

No comments:

Post a Comment