Sunday 10 July 2011

Mulderbosch Shiraz Western Cape 2004

Mulderbosch Shiraz Western Cape 2004 (WS 92 points, $34.99, SKU 644492) – A friend brought over a bottle of wine in a brown paper bag for us to taste. The first question was whether this was old world or new world wine and I guessed new world. But I couldn’t put my hands on the grape type. I figured it was not the usual Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Shiraz or Pinot Noir. When the brown paper bag came off, it was the South African wine. So I was right in the sense that it was a new world wine. As with most South African red wines, this wine tastes a bit like the new world and a bit like the old world wines. The wine has a good aroma and body and it grows on you. I left it overnight in the bottle and drank the rest of it with a lamb dinner bought from the Greek festival. It was an excellent match since the pepper spice brought out the flavour of the lamb. This would be a very nice wine to pair with roast beef or lamb.

No comments:

Post a Comment